The 80/20 Rule

The 80/20 Rule in Marketing… A Simple Strategy for Success

How’s your marketing working for your business? In this video, the business coach and co-author of #1 Bestseller “The Mindstretch,” Dean Mercado, discusses how to apply the Pareto Principle (The 80/20 Rule) to improve the effectiveness of your marketing!

Video Transcript

Hi folks, this is Dean Mercado of Online Marketing Muscle, and welcome.

In today’s conversation, we will talk about what we call the 80/20 Rule in marketing.  You may know it as Pareto’s Principle; you may have heard of it.

Essentially what this means, all it means is that 20% of your marketing activity is producing 80%of your positive result. So 20% of your marketing produces 80% of the results you are getting.  Good results, the money results. So what I’m challenging you to do is look at that 20%, figure out what that 20% is and do more of that. Figure out what the other 80% is and do less of that.

How do you do that? We call it metrics. You need to be able to measure this stuff. You need to dig in a little bit, dig your heels in and find out how much it’s costing you to do that particular marketing activity.

Very quickly, let’s say you do a lot of marketing on Facebook. OK, and you spend five hours this week doing your thing on Facebook.  Well, that’s great, OK. Well, now, how many prospects or leads has that driven you this week? So if it drove you one prospect, let’s say, only you can determine if you land that business if it made sense with your activity on Facebook. If it didn’t, you need to look at that and say, what did that five hours cost me? And that includes your time; not just Facebook is free. No, it’s not free. And most of us under-think about you need to look at that and say, ” OK, what did that five hours cost me? And that includes your time. Not just Facebook is free. No, it’s not free. And most of us under-think what we are worth. I’ll get $10 an hour. Come on. It’s selling yourself a little bit short.

So anyway, think about the 20% of the marketing that’s creating the  80% of the result. Do more with that 20%, do less of the other 80%. It’s that simple.  In a nutshell busyness does not equal business. Busyness does not equal business.

For Dean Mercado, Online Marketing Muscle Here’s to your success.

29 thoughts on “The 80/20 Rule in Marketing… A Simple Strategy for Success”

  1. Avatar of Tracy

    Thanks for sharing what you’ve learned. I’ll have to keep this in mind when I start marketing an upcoming promo I’m helping someone with.

  2. Avatar of Carmen's Coupon Blog
    Carmen's Coupon Blog

    You are so right its so easy to waste time.. The place that I waste the most time at is Facebook.. I need to learn how to not waste time…

  3. Avatar of Alicia Taylor

    Thanks for the information. As a one-man operation, sometimes, I don’t have time to really look at the metrics because I spend so much time doing the marketing. I need to put more elbow grease into the metrics so maybe there won’t be so much needed in the marketing.

  4. Avatar of Amy Desrosiers

    I think you make very helpful videos for people who need help ninths marketing area. I am only marketing myself, but is suppose your 80/20 rule is helpful!

  5. Avatar of Steve Pots

    Very true that being busy does nothing for you. I have applied the 80.20 rule sometime ago and managed to cut out a lot of resource sucking activities.

  6. Avatar of Blackline Elite and refuel extreme
    Blackline Elite and refuel extreme

    Great site you’ve got here.. It’s difficult to find quality writing like yours
    nowadays. I seriously appreciate individuals like you!
    Take care!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share via
CtO Slide Deck - ISSA NA 2023 Event

ISSA North America Conference 2023

Want a copy of the Slides?

Clone the Owner: The Secret Sauce Of A 7-Figure Business

CtO Guide Cover

Looking To Scale Your Business?


Use this proven system to make your vision a reality!

Scroll to Top