Do you have an ugly website?
How can you tell?
Sometimes when you are very close to something, it’s tough to be objective. Most business owners invest enormous time, effort, and money to get their business moving. So much so that some may consider their business their “baby.” A lot of pride goes along with this. If you have a website like most do these days, you may consider your website your “baby”!
Since we’re discussing ugly “babies” here, did you ever see that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer take a trip out to the Hamptons for the weekend to visit their friends and their new baby? (everything in life relates to a Seinfeld episode. 🙂
The proud parents are so excited to have their friends meet the new baby. The mom whines, “Ya Gotta See the Baby!”
They’re brought into the baby’s nursery, peer into the crib, and…
They cringe at the sight of this baby! How could the parents not know their baby is ugly?
Of course, they have no idea that their friends think their baby is hideous. Now, I don’t recommend being cruel and insulting anyone’s “baby,” but there are times in business when a little bit of constructive criticism can make a difference in whether you get the results you want or don’t.
For this discussion, you think your website is great, but do most people visit and leave immediately?
Do you get the leads, sales, or results you are expecting from your site?
If not, it may be time to look at your site’s appearance to the outside world.
Here are a few things to consider when evaluating the look of your website:
- Consider the color scheme. Do the colors go together, or do they clash? Does the color scheme you are using appeal to the target market you are going after?
- Is the layout of the page easy to follow, and does it bring the visitor to the desired area of the page where you want them to end up (for example, at the “buy now” button or the “sign up here” button)?
- How about the navigation on your site. Is it easy to get around, or do you get lost or end up on an unrelated page when trying to get from one part of your site to another?
- Are there well-placed, attractive images and fonts being used on your site?
Business owners need to pay attention to measurements or metrics to tell if their website is excellent or outstanding. I suggest using some of the following tools to give you a better picture:
- Google Analytics <= if you don’t have access to this free wealth of knowledge tool from Google, have a webs designer get you set up a.s.a.p.!
- Moz <= Or even better, add the complimentary “MozBar” add-on to your browser for an even quicker glimpse of the hour your website is performing.
- Alexa <= Or even better, add the complimentary “Alexa Traffic Rank” add-on to your browser for an even quicker glimpse of how your website is performing.
OK, take a deep breath and look at what’s going on. If you decide that you do indeed have an ugly website, not to fear! Once you evaluate where you are, you can make a plan to get where you want to go!