Do you need web design help? How do you know? Just like a child or a cherished pet, if you have a business that you’ve nurtured, you may consider it your “baby”. I know about the enormous time, effort and sometimes money you’ve invested in your “baby” and you take a lot of pride in it. If you’re online a large part of your “baby” is very likely your website.
I’m going to bring up Seinfeld here because hey, everything in life pretty much relates to a Seinfeld TV episode doesn’t it? 🙂 The episode I’m referring to (it’s actually called “The Ugly Baby“), is when Jerry, Elaine, George and Kramer go out to the Hamptons for the weekend to visit and see their friend’s new baby. It’s the one where the mother whines, “Ya Gotta See the Baby!” Jerry and Elaine take one look into the crib and they cringe at the sight of this baby. Of course the proud parents have no idea that their friends think their baby is hideous. To them he is perfect! I don’t recommend being cruel and insulting anyone’s “baby”, but there are times in business when a little bit of constructive criticism can make a difference in whether you get the results you want or don’t.
Apply this concept to your website… your “baby”… for purposes of this discussion… you think it’s great, but do most people visit and leave immediately? Do you get the leads…or sales…or results that you are expecting from your website? If not, it may be time to take a closer look at what your site really looks like to the outside world.
Here’s a few things to consider when evaluating the look of your website:
- Consider the color scheme. Do the colors go together or do they clash? Does the color scheme you are using appeal to the target market you are going after?
- Is the layout of the page easy to follow and does it bring the visitor to the desired area of the page where you want them to end up at (for example, at the “buy now” button or the “sign up here” button).
- How about the navigation on your site. Is it easy to get around or do you get lost or end up on an unrelated page when trying to get from one part of your site to another?
- Are there well-placed, attractive images and fonts being used on your site?
You can also take a look at the results you are getting from your site to get an idea of what’s really going on. I suggest using some of the following tools to give you a better picture:
- Google Analytics <= if you don’t have access to this free wealth of knowledge tool from Google, have a webs designer get you set up a.s.a.p.!
- Moz <= Or even better, add the complimentary “MozBar” add-on to your browser for an even quicker glimpse of hour your website is performing.
- Alexa <= Or even better, add the complimentary “Alexa Traffic Rank” add-on to your browser for an even quicker glimpse of how your website is performing.
OK, so take a deep breath and have a look at what’s really going on. Once you evaluate where you are you can make a plan to get where you want to go!
Share this Post